Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I spot a conflict

So I was reading news headlines, and I spot a conflict! Abortion has been one of the most hotly debated topics for decades. The government has been chasing women around, trying to tell them what to do with their bodies, while ignoring the consequences of letting a crack whore have a baby (can you see how I feel about abortion?)

Imagine my surprise when I read about the government requiring young girls to have this new HPV vaccine, Gardasil. It prevents four types of HPV, which is an STD, which can cause cervical cancer and genital warts. This vaccine has the potential to prevent 70% of all cervical cancer cases. States across the country are picking up this issue and tossing in around, some choosing to make the vaccine mandatory for young girls, and some still hashing it out.

I shall now clarify my stance: if it’s possible, girls, women, females who are eligible should have this vaccine; there is no reason not to. This is the first vaccine that PREVENTS CANCER. I see no reason not to give it to young girls.

The opposing side claims that you can teach your daughter to not have sex and it won’t be an issue. However, men are rarely, if ever, tested for HPV. So sure, your nine-year old may keep her panties on till she’s 23 and married. But what happens when her not-so-virtuous husband pumps her full of cancer STD? You can see the flaw there.

Just because your daughter gets a chicken pox vaccine doesn’t mean you take her home and teach her all about it. My 12 year old brother got that vaccine at age 6 and has no idea what chicken pox are.

Clearly, I am at conflict as well: I say no one can tell a woman what to do with her body, when it comes to abortion. But I see no reason to allow women to avoid this vaccine; making it required would save lives. These ideals don’t coincide. I’m willing to see this and make a decision: I will stand by the right for every woman to have an abortion, but will not endorse this vaccine as mandatory. I will get this vaccine, and so will any of my future daughters. I will talk about the benefits of this vaccine to anyone who will listen, and encourage women to get it. But I will never take a stance against freedom of your boobies, butt, and coocher.

***Side note: I do not prescribe to any political party, so don’t assume this is the ranting of a crazy liberal. Also, if they find that this vaccine causes your offspring to have crab hands or the like, disregards this piece in its entirety.

— Nikki Todorow

4 comments:

baller_1324 said...

you do realize that guys can't be tested for HPVs. the average mail can contract and pass the disease through his system in less than a month.
as i started this comment to oppose your view, my only defense is it would be just stupid not to want to have this vaccine. kids will have sex despite any teachings by their parents. kids will get pregnant and even more nowadays kids will contract and pass around diseases. the only thing you can do is make it a law to try and stop the progress of the disease.

nikki said...

I totally agree with you, baller_1324. It would be stupid to not want this vaccine. People, not just kids, are doing it every day, informed or not, safe or not. This vaccine is genius.

However, I disagree with a law that will tell a woman what to do with her body. And that's what the government is doing. I realize that other vaccines are mandatory, for good reason. And I wouldn't be upset if Gardasil became one of these vaccines. I'm simply saying I won't endorse the idea of telling women what to do with her body. I was also commenting on the irony that certain groups will deny the right to abortion (which is telling someone what to do with their body) but fight to disallow the government from telling them what to do with their daughters’ bodies.

As far as testing, I have done my research. There is no FDA approved or reliable test for men and HPV because there is no need. I was assuming that these reports were alluding to the fact that there are tests but they are useless. I have limited blog space and felt that I could cut out that detail, and anyone interested could do their own research.

And by the way, you misspelled mail. It's male.

nikki said...

oh no you're not! you're keeping the conversation going, i need feedback. Thank you!

Meg :) said...

My biggest problem with people making this vaccine mandatory for young girls is that it has only been tested on women 16-24. Also, we have no idea what the long term effects are. I just think if we're going to give this to young girls (9 or 10) we should know what its going to do to their bodies...